Nabil - Houston, Texas

My mother once told me her war story. It was a tale taken place during a fierce battle for independence. Shells flew and soldiers marched, fighting one another for defense and liberty. The rest of the people fled the violence, hiding where they could, eating what they could, and simply trying to survive.

My mother was a child back then. Thrust in the middle of the chaos, she had little understanding of what was going on. All she knew was that they had to keep running away from the bad men, hiding from them, crowding together in cars and houses, and eating only eggs and cookies. Well, since she was just a child, my mother came to enjoy the whole fiasco. She got to miss school, run around and play games with her cousins, collecting shells to make vases, and as for food, she loved eggs and cookies.

Hearing this, I thought it was pretty silly. A happy time during a terrible war. Yet, this story began to make me ponder about everyday events. In general, everyday is filled with bad things as well as good things. If one day I have multiple tests, I might after wards play a game with my friends. Or if I feel depressed about a bad grade, I’ll get cheered up by my friends and family. If I trip and fall, I’ll just pick myself back up, for staying down will not change the way things are, and the day is guaranteed to get better.

That old saying, every cloud has a silver lining, is a true one. Everyday is subject to good and bad, a yin and yang, a balance that goes on to tomorrow. Life is full of good things, even if they need to be searched for and found. And even in it can’t be found, well then, maybe it needs to be created. For, we all need to search for the good in the bad. This is what I sincerely believe.