I think I’ve Learned

AZUBUIKE - houton, Texas

I think I’ve learn

This I believe is responsibility. The transition from middle school to high school hit me pretty hard. I was so used to doing nothing, not studying at all, and still get by, by just not getting by. As I was in high school, I came to realize that this is a new chapter in my life and I must turn the page and continue reading. One of the main differences that I discovered in High School and middle school is the level of responsibility that is put on, pretty much immediately when you start your ninth grade year. And it is up to you if you are going to take the responsibility and use it to your full potential or just carry the responsibility in your back pocket.

When I was in ninth grade, I looked at the myriad number of clubs and organization that our school, Michael E. Debakey High school for Health Profession. offered. Even though I wanted too, freshman and sophomore year I joined one of all the clubs at our school, HOSA, Health Occupational Students of America. At the end of my sophomore year I saw myself only in that one club, HOSA. So over my sophomore summer, that is when I volunteered most of my time at the hospital and at my church, and also when I got my first job.

My first job at Finishline was the true test on my responsibility, and apparently I failed. My dad told me that if I wanted spare change to spend on myself, I was going to need a job so I can earn money. After I got the job, it was as if I was on my own in life. My manager would not call my parents if I was running late, he would contact me. Everything was with me, and it was just too much to handle at the time since I didn’t prepare enough in high school. So it was very weird when I was my own man and it hit me extremely hard. While working, a lot of the early Saturdays that I worked, I came late because my parents refused to wake me up since it was my job. That jeopardized my employment many times. But as I got used to it, the responsibility almost came natural to me now and then I was an employee at Finishline, and not a teenager working at Finishline. As the summer came to an end, and the school year came creeping up, I took everything I learned while working and applied it to all my aspects of school.

So went into junior year with a whole new prospective. With my new learned responsibility, I started taking more leads in groups, and class discussions. At the year progressed, I found myself into more and more clubs and found myself using that responsibility that I learned from working. By the end of my junior year, I was involved in many club at my school, especially Basketball club and gymnastics club where I am the treasurer and co-captain. Being the treasurer of Basketball Club was another test of my responsibility, and this time I know I passed it. I was in charge of anything dealing with money, and since money is very important, it was my responsibility to keep a record of everything that was given to me. Rolling through to my senior year, started a new job at JcPennys and continued to work during my senior year. While working, I managed to get elected to treasurer to basketball club again, parliamentarian of Black Student Union, on the student council for my school. These roles allowed me to use my responsibility wisely and very useful with my extracurricular activities.