Strive forr Independence

Anthony - 01887, Massachusetts

I believe people have the right to be independent. When I was younger, I always wanted more independence. My parents always said that I was too young to stay home alone, but I wanted to anyway. I knew that nothing would happen, so what could go wrong? They finally left one night and I was home alone watching television. Nothing ever did happen, and that is when my independence began.

Every young adult should have the privilege of being independent; whether it be staying home alone or walking down the street to your friend’s house. Becoming independent has made me more confident in everyday life. My parents had always done everything for me and I was always relying on them. I knew that the day would come when I would need to stop relying on them.

Through my experience, I have learned that independence isn’t just given out, but like trust, it is earned, very slowly. Having to earn independence has made me realize that its not about staying home alone or walking to your friends house without your parents, but rather it is about creating a stronger and deeper connection with your parents so that when the time comes when you have to be away from them, they know that you are ready to handle what comes your way.

I proved this to my parents one weekend when I went on a trip with my friends to Six Flags over night. We would be staying in a hotel with one of my friend’s mom and I had to become very responsible that weekend. Before I left, they knew I was ready and that they had trained me to the best of their ability. Naturally, when teenagers are away from their parents, they have a tendency to get in trouble, but I knew from my parent’s guidance, that if I got in trouble, it would have taken my parents a long time to give me my independence back and allow me to go on another trip.

Becoming independent is a huge part of life. When I get older I will be off on my own, probably in a big city, without my parents there to look after me. I will have to have to know that I am now on my own and will put to use the independence that my parents have given me. People have the right to have independence; this is what I believe.