Soundtrack of Life

Christopher - Lynbrook, New York

When people try to make claims about “true happiness” the argument often becomes abstract and often philosophical. On a tangible level I feel it is more appropriate to instead describe something that can be felt; by describing a simple pleasure, that I believe adds richness to every life. As such, this I believe… music, of all genres truly adds a deeper appreciation to life.Music is something that can simply take hold of your body. I believe music is as diverse as the people on this Earth. Music can dictate your energy seeing how it can bring you to a frenzy before the big football game, or sooth you to sleep with dulcet smoothness before bed, or even get you in the mood compliments of Barry White. To truly see the total control of that infectious beat; you know which I’m talking about. Look no further, than that famous Head bob, or the unconscious foot tap and you will begin to see how music is in our soul.I believe Hollywood got it right when they added music as that last dimension to go along with our favorite character’s tribulations. It seems natural, almost effortless that music tends to evoke; better yet demand forth emotions whenever it’s played. Who here can claim that Rocky Balboa climbing the stairs could possibly arouse goose bumps without its compliment Gonna Fly Now playing in the background? In the realm of horror flicks there’s two things that remain constant, the first one clearly is that of human fatality, but the other spooky staple is that eerie, bone chilling, violin/piano combination that follow on the killer’s coat-tails right before another surprise attack.Movies are one form of self-expression, but what about the journey of music? The art of music making has long been celebrated for its human essence since the days of Beethoven all the way up to Lil Wayne, The Carter III.With the Cristal, Range Rovers and Bling-Bling aside making music can still be a very fulfilling activity. We as humans are naturally social creatures; what’s so beautiful about music is its immediate form of expression from all phases. When any person, not necessarily a professional musician writes a song its what rapper Eminem describes “a weight being lifted”. Where else can a person put their raw emotions into something that relates to people on such a fundamental level?Maybe some people in here are saying, “well I have never written a song, so this doesn’t apply to me”. If so I invite you to think of a time when you were lonely, or had your heart broken… Now think of a song that reminds you of that feeling… What is so powerful about music is that it can validate any feeling you could possibly be going through. You know why? Because a song is a bond between you and another person, a way of saying I know what you’re going through and I’ve been through it too. It is my belief that there is no other affirmation that we are human than to feel like you’re not the only one.That is why I believe music gives something that nothing in this world can deliver as consistently and effectively as music.