Summer freedon

Steffie - Hagerstown, Maryland

I believe that summer is when I can be who I really am. My parents aren’t as strict, no school, it’s a 3 month weekend. I live on the North end of Hagerstown. Pretty much everyone who lives here belongs to a pool called Northwood. Since I can remember, my life revolves around Northwood and the friends I met there. I look forward to memorial day weekend every year because that’s when the pool opens. Northwood is my summer, but not only does it hold most of my best memories of summer, but my dads. He has been a member of Northwood since 1958, one of the first members, which is why our card number is 72 out of 449. When I look back, summer seems to last forever but it always comes to an end and if I had the choice I’d be there right now. Every morning I wake up at 9 for swim team with my friends Rachel and tanner. We slowly walk to the pool to see how cold the water will be today- freezing or frigid. It seems like the same phrase “I don’t want to go to the pool today” is said a lot- but in the end I never want to leave. In summer I do anything. I feel free, no worries. I believe that is how summer should be. I basically live with my friends. We are always together wherever we are. But as we get older the memories get better. I guess its normal to cling to memories that we will never get back but when I see Rachel and Tanner the few times I do during the school year, we have the best time remembering the crazy things we did that past summer. We have a bond- a summer bond, that is continuously added to as the summer days pass by. Summer is when I let go. I loose track of what day of the week it is. I believe that after nine months of trying hard at school, summer is relaxation time to be with friends and family and to do what makes me happy. The only test is how can I make the most of my day today. Memories don’t happen when you try to make them happen. My best memories come from unexpected events that I never thought would happen. They have to do with screen doors, bacon, watermelon, golf course flags, stokers, and firepits, all meaningless objects to you, but objects with great meaning to me. Summer is filled with doing what I want to do. Ignoring my head and following my heart. This I believe.