theophilus - houston, Texas

The Vietnamese’s Dream

Vomit, the stench of fecal matter, and the sea air were unbearable; my grandparents began to doubt that their voyage towards the land of opportunity was worth it. The year was 1977 and my grand parents, along with their children, were on an undersized fishing junk crammed together with their fellow stench ridden Vietnamese, like a can of sardines. They were on their way to Malaysia, it was necessary for them to stop there before they would be able to go on to America. My grandparents hope that America would fulfill their hope and desire, so they persevered through the horrid journey to Malaysia. There they awaited the sponsorship of a compassionate American to provide the necessary paperwork to transfer them to America. Soon a catholic church sponsored them and they were finally on their way to the land of opportunity, America.

Vietnamese parents have always had the dream that one day their children would become doctors. They believed that the position of a doctor is a very honorable and respected career that brings many benefits as well. Vietnamese parents do not want their children to suffer like they did in Vietnam and their early years in America. They do their best to provide for their children, so that they, the children, will have the support and environment needs in order to become doctors.

Presently I attend Michael E. DeBakey High School for Health Professions, in hopes that I fulfill the goal set before me to become a doctor. My parents have also thrusted this goal upon my brothers and me, so that we can live a more leisurely life than they did in their early lives in America. But becoming a doctor will not only benefit me it will ultimately change the life of my entire family. My brothers and I have readily accepted this goal and will try to uphold the family tradition of becoming a doctor. It might seem like I do not have a choice but becoming a doctor has always been my dream and it is also the dreams of my parents as much as it is mine. My parents are helping me achieve this goal by investing any sum of money necessary for my to fulfill this long awaited and most cherished goal, as well as providing my siblings and me the moral support needed. With the help of my family and friends I am ready for what ever lies ahead of me on this eventful journey.

I believe that tradition is vital towards upholding one’s own culture and must be maintained at all cost. As a Vietnamese my parents have passed down many traditions and goal which they hope for me to fulfill and pass on to my children one day, and I am at ease with this idea because tradition is and will always be a pillar in my life.