Time and Value

Cecily-Anne (Lyanne) - Glendale, California

At the outset, I believed that time was hard to deal with – it brought hardship, pain, and utter disappointment. When a loved one dies, time is full of pain and sorrow; maybe even hopelessness. Time also gives you a chance to fail in many aspects of life and to think and fawn over those failures, doing no good for your self-esteem.

An aunt’s death left my mother hopelessly devastated. I didn’t want to see my parents depressed, especially while dealing with the loss myself. Time passed by so slowly, dwelling on that period of sorrow. After a while, however, my parents began to finish their grieving process. It was during their grieving process that I realized that though we seemed to have been given such a short period of time with her, we had also been given time to accumulate cherished memories. These memories would serve as some means of comfort for our loss, eventually softening the blow. Time had given us not only a period of solitude, but a chance to find peace again.

Another instance in which I learned to appreciate time was in my early days participating in spelling bee competitions. Being an individual of competitive disposition, it was increasingly difficult for me to deal with my defeat. Later on in my schooling when my report cards from school did not exactly meet my expectations, I had until the end of the semester to improve them. What I thought was a short amount of time was actually perfect for me to earn my best scores. Time played in twice again, giving me a chance to live above my self-imposed hopelessness.

One finds time in the simplest of everyday circumstances – wanting it to stretch when you’re having a good time, wanting it to quicken when you’re in a predicament, or even rushing through work to make it in time for something as trivial as a television show. Time is often seen as an enemy. On the contrary, it is but a wise companion. It can play into the deepest of your life’s experiences, giving you memories to last a lifetime – memories to look back on. Through time, we can fully grasp the beauty of life, and what it has to offer. It is up to us to decide how exactly to utilize what time gives us in a way that will help us grow as humans.

Quite habitually, we criticize the concept, or idea, of time. It goes by too fast when we want it to last, too slow when we want to get it over with. Have we ever considered the fact that there are appropriate spans of time for everything and that we are given such? It is often through the most minute of instances that we realize the value of time, as when we recall past experiences or memories. Time gives us life in ways we may not even realize. I believe in time, for it is a mediator – the regulation for humanity.