I believe that we can contribute to end World Poverty.

Oscar - Missouri City, Texas

I believe that while I may have different beliefs as an individual, I cannot stress enough the importance to me of one certain issue. That issue is the lack of awareness of poverty in our society and world. I felt that I could not do much about this devastating dilemma until a few years back when I heard about an organization whose sole purpose was to fight the poverty in this world. I believe that all people should be aware of poverty and strive for a solution and the organization, Partnership Walk gave me the chance to have my voice heard in this worldwide problem that we all share as a people.

It began my junior year in high school. Prior to my present knowledge, I had only seen homeless people pleading for food as far as poverty went, and could only imagine what horrors people would face in a less fortunate country. A friend who shared a passion for the fight against poverty addressed me about an organization that enabled anyone willing to help bring awareness to others about global poverty. From then on, I was known as the Fundraising Director for the organization for my school area. After weeks of practice, we held an event in Houston, Texas that the organization performed every year. In this event I was able to talk to hundreds of people about the facts of poverty in third world countries. I was able to describe how thousands of women and children each day walk miles to retrieve water from a polluted source and how we use 6 ½ gallons of water simply by flushing our toilets. How people in third world countries must be careful to make very good use of what little water they have and people in our society waste gallons of water each day by a careless mistake such as not turning the sink faucet completely off. It was facts like these that truly impacted the lives of the people in our audience and as a result thousands of people became alert to the growing poverty in our world. I was thankful to have the opportunity to share my belief with so many people. I was thankful to know that at least a few in people in this vast world would finally think twice about the growing pollution of poverty. Most of all, I was thankful to know that with the donations the organization received, my belief was a step closer in relieving world poverty.

I believe that while donations help, this world cannot be rid of all poverty with money alone. I believe that we must come together as a people to solve this crisis. On the other hand, striving for a utopia is a bit out of the question. Nonetheless, we should still strive for the far away planet that which contains no poverty. I believe that even if we fail, we will still land amongst the stars.