Life Lessons

Julie Ann - Glendale, California

The world is full of obstacles and surprises. Sometimes you get into situations you can’t get out of and in the end, it leaves you thinking or learning something from that experience. I believe in life lessons. I believe that life lessons give people a lot of experience. Life lessons help you grow as a person by not repeating the same mistakes and making you a better person. In your younger years, you make mistakes and you learn from those mistakes. You learn a lesson by doing a particular thing. Of course, life lessons do not only contain rewards, but consequences to your actions, for example, let’s say you cheated on a test and got caught, so now you’re in big trouble. You got sent down to the principal’s office and they call your parents. Then you were grounded for two months and you decided not to cheat anymore. You can either be happy or hurt by the situation’s result depending on what you did. I’m sure every person in the world has gone through it. I have gone through it.When I was younger, back in the day, I had no clue what “life lessons” were. I thought it was about school lessons; math, science, history etc. I was also a very curious person back then. So I wondered what “life lessons” were. I asked my mom what it was, she said, “it’s a lesson you learn after you have gone through a situation, when it comes you’ll realize it”. I was puzzled and didn’t understand “when it comes, you’ll realize it” part. When I was in the 2nd grade, it made sense to me a little. I was still living in the Philippines, and to eat lunch at school, if you didn’t bring your lunchbox, you had to bring pesos. I decided that it’d be my treat to buy my friends food, but I was broke. So when I got home from school, I went to my parents room where they have kept everything. My mom was at work, we had a nanny and I usually spent most of my day there so I knew where everything was. There were three rows of closets and the first closet was where my mom hid most of her “shinny” things. So I searched through her things, moving this and that and finally. BINGO!…..I found treasure. I took about 30 pesos. It was a hand full. The next day, when I was at school I spent all that money buying food for my friends and I. I had extra money on me so I just put it in my backpack. They asked me where’d I get all that money, but I didn’t reply. Soon after my mom got home and checked the “money bank”, she noticed that some coins were missing. I was thinking “Uh oh, I’m dead”. My mom was really strict about stealing things. I merely thought of it as borrowing and I was going to return the leftover money. She asked me if I took the money since I was the only one in her room and I lied saying “I don’t know”. Then she checked my brothers backpack, they were clear. Then it was me, I panicked and I restrained myself from moving. She found out who it was and she got mad at me. So I got multiple spanks from her and I had to say sorry to my friends. That day I learned a lesson. Never steal money from mom or else you get spanked. Of course, that made me learn to not steal anything ever again. Overall, I did some bad things in the past and so does everybody, but when you look back at it you’d say to yourself “Well that was stupid”. Like a fable, a person has their own lessons to learn. I believe the world itself has life lessons for us. Live, love and learn!