Dailian - USA

“Odio por Amor “

“Odio por Amor” is the title to Juan Estevan Aristisabal’s latest song. Juan Estevan, better known as Juanes, was born in Medellin, Colombia. His country is constantly under the terror of the guerrilla. Many children and other innocent citizens are kidnapped every day taken to the jungle and put to live under misery. For many years they are kept there until they are rescued, killed, or the agony kills them. There is regular fighting among the guerrilla and the established government. People born in the same land are fighting each other all the time. Due to this situation many of Juanes’s songs deal with the issues that surround his country and many other nations around the world. The topics of his song include freedom, love, poverty and peace. He is considered one of the most talented and influential Latino artists. In his song “odio por amor” Juan Estevan expresses his yearning for harmony and unification of his country and other nations; it also emphasizes the humanity of people by encouraging them to rethink rancorous feelings with positive values.

His song “odio por amor” can literally be translated to “hate for love.” It starts by saying “trabajamos como dos locomotoras a todo vapor” we work like two locomotives at all steam. Sometimes instead of working together to solve a problem nations and people compete against each other. The second stanza also says “somos victimas asi de nuestra propia tonta creacion”; we become victims of our own dumb creations. This line refers to the use of weapons. We created them and now use them to destroy each other; this reflects the situation in his country where weapons are being used to take the lives of innocent people. “Los hermanos ya no se deben pelear” the third stanza states that brothers should not fight anymore. This sounds the need for all the citizens in their own nations to work together, not only the citizens of the different countries, but all nations need to work together instead of fight each other.

The fourth stanza voices Juanes’s dream of peaceful and non violent Colombia. “Si te pones a pensar la libertad no tiene propiedead” If thought about it freedom has no owner. Freedom is for everyone, not necessarily just for Colombia, but for the entire world. All people have the right to freedom: ability progress, live peacefully and seek well being. The fifth stanza says “si aprendemos a escuchar quizas podamos juntos caminar de la mano hasta el final” if we learn to listen then maybe we’ll be able to walk together hand in hand until the end. If all the people in Colombia unite they will have the capability to help their nation go forward. “Yo aqui y tu alla de la mano hasta el final” This line again emphasizes all nations working together for the good of all, specially the pored nations.

The song also encourages people to rectify hatred and rancor with good values. The third stanza , says “es momento de recapacitar” it is the moment to reconsider. “Es tiempo de cambiar it’s time to change.” This is a very direct line expressing that it is time to rethink our hateful actions and become more compassionate towards one another. “Es tiempo de saber pedir perdon “It is time to learn to ask for pardon. For most, it is very difficult to admit error and even harder to ask for forgiveness. The song encourages people to show humility and acknowledge their mistakes. The song also says “olvidamos que el amor es mas fuerte que el dolor, que envenena la razon.” We forget that love is greater than pain, that it poisons reason. We allow for the events of the past and our bad experiences to fill our hearts with hate, thus impairing our logic and morality. This idea is also supported by the second stanza “olvidamos que el amor es mas. fuerte que el dolor de una llaga en tu interior”, we forget that love is greater than the pain of a wound in our interior. We allow odium to take the best of us. “Somos victimas asi de nuestra propia tonta creacion” these lines resort to the malice and damage that hatred creates in our hearts. Hatred dehumanizes us.

Although it seems impossible to have a world where everyone gets along, songs like “odio por amor” give faith and inspire people to keep fighting for a better world. It makes communities conscious of the great human values that might make our world a better place. The words “es tiempo de cambiar en la mente de todos el odio por amor” summarizes the entire message of the song; the world needs a new perspective: love.