This Is I Believe

John Paul - Glendale, California
Themes: sports

Playing sports is one of the best ways to get rid of bad attitudes, bad habits, depression and to relieve stress. Also, you can play sports just to have fun. Playing sports is the best way to pass time. It is fun, entertaining, keeps you occupied, and helps you lose weight if you are concerned about your weight. I believe that sports increases your friendship circle, increases your faith in your friends, and has a lot of exploring involved. Sports also help you deal with deep personal grieving.

I play soccer everyday. It’s the best part of my life. Every time I play a game, I get excited. When I have to leave the game, I am saddened that I can’t play soccer anymore. I made a lot of friends from just playing soccer. You can also make friends by playing any sport, not only soccer. I have had this experience myself. I would go and play soccer and basketball in the park. Then we see some other people playing soccer or basketball too. So we ask them if they want to play a game with us. That’s how I made a lot of new friends. While I was in middle school, this is how I made most of my friends.

One of my friends, Rony, played soccer too and his friends also played soccer. Once during school, Rony invited me to play soccer with them. So I said, “O.K.” and played soccer. Soon, the people I played soccer with in school became friends with me.

In addition to making new friends, all team sports improve your cooperation with your friends or even strangers. Cooperation leads to teamwork. When there’s teamwork involved, everyone is engaged in the play and everyone is trusted. There’s no put downs in teamwork. Teamwork really helps you increase your faith in your teammates. Having faith and trust in your teammates helps you to have stronger relationships. This is how I play. There was a time when I was playing soccer with my friends. I had the ball. I ran up to the goal with my teammate running up and two opponents in front of me. I made them to take the ball away from me which made my teammate get open. I pass the ball, he scores. At that time, I had trust in my teammate that he would take the right shot and score a goal.

Also, it is good to try new sports. Sometimes playing a sport helps you get better at that sport. Current NBA superstar Steve Nash said, “Playing soccer helped me to put the techniques into practice in basketball.” I once read an article on the internet that Steve Nash was very interested in soccer before entering into the world of basketball. He still plays soccer, however, now he plays for the NBA team, the Phoenix Suns. I agree with Steve Nash 100%. Just like Steve Nash, I used the techniques and movement in soccer and easily translated that into basketball. Now I play both basketball and soccer.

Sports can help you deal with personal problems such as depression or the loss of a loved one. When you really get involved in a sport, you can also leave behind your fears and worries, just as I do. One of my church members passed away last year. At that time everyone I the church were depressed, including me. Later on, even everything calmed down, there was still residual depression. Sports made it easier to overcome the sadness. But still, that person is in my heart. I’m sure there are many other testimonies given by people who overcame personal problems with sports. My way to deal with problems is sports. What’s yours?

Overall, sports is my favorite part of my life. I can never get enough of fun from sports. I play sports so much that it just became my hobby. When you play a sport with people, no matter if you know them or not, you automatically build a friendship with them. Sports is a great way to strengthen your faith in your friends. Sports is very adventurous because you get to try new things all the time. Personal problems are very well dealt by sports. This is what I believe.