Cookies and Family

Jessica - La Crescenta, California

This I Believe…

When people hear the word family, they may think of their annoying little brother or their crazy Aunt Sue. When I hear the word family, I usually think of cookies. In my home making cookies is a family tradition. Cookies are a family tradition but they pretty much sum up what my family is like as well.

Each ingredient in the recipe represents a different family member. The sugar would represent my sister who is very sweet and easy to be around, but if you add too much, it just doesn’t turn out right. The chocolate chips of a cookie recipe would represent my mom who is kind, heartwarming, and whom you can always go to for comfort. The coconuts would best represent my dad because it is something special that we add to make the cookies unique and my dad is unique and special to me. I think that the flour of the cookie recipe would best represent me because I make sure that everyone sticks together, but I do it in a way that gets everywhere because I tend to spread out. All of the ingredients mixed together with the right instructions and time will produce wonderful results. The same applies to family. When you mix them all up and give it a little time you get a caring family always there to give you a hand.

In my family, baking has been passed down through the generations. For some, it was not their talent, but for others, it was second nature. For all of us baking means being together and enjoying family time. At my house, we have a specific day, Monday to be exact, in which we set aside for baking. We usually bake chocolate chip cookies, but once in a while cakes or brownies will pop out of the oven and fill the kitchen with their delightful smells. No matter what comes out of the oven, it will always have a hint of joy, a smell of love, and a taste of wholeness because that is all that comes out of family.

I remember this one time, not that long ago, when we had a family reunion at my aunt’s house in Denver, Colorado. My cousin David was not there because he was serving in Iraq, so the family decided to make chocolate chip cookies for him and his troop. We made a BIG batch of cookies and put them in the oven. When they came out, they were very funny looking. It turns out that we forgot that you have to change the recipe when you are at a higher altitude. They didn’t taste bad; they just looked funny so we still sent them out to David. That was one batch of cookies he is not going to forget about any time soon.

Every family is represented by something. I believe that a chocolate chip cookie best represents my family, because we love to bake them and everyone knows that we are good at it too. In addition, I believe that this one dessert represents a family that may have its quirks; but still can come together in the end to support one another in every way possible. My overall belief is that baking can bring a family together, just like a cookie recipe brings all the different ingredients together.