This I believe in friendship

Emily - Glendale, California

“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, “What! You too? I thought I was the only one!”” Friends are great to have and make the best of whatever happens in life. We always share the good times and forget the bad things in life. Sharing the laughs, jokes, and secrets with someone special. A friend is someone that makes you realize that you’re not alone and is always there for you. A friend is another reason to go to school besides learning and working. Friendships are not limited to just humans. An animal can be an owner’s best friend, from the connection we both share with each other. Therefore, I believe in friendship.

When I go to school and go to snack and lunch, I forget about all the schoolwork. When I go to my friends, I smile as if seeing my sisters I never had. We have fun and understand each other. We help each other and become each other’s life savers. I am grateful for friends because I don’t know what I would do without them. I would be without no happiness or joy. Though when I go home, I have another friend, my dog.

It started when I wanted to get a dog. After the begging and promising to care for the dog, I got one. The dog would bite me and bark at me continuously. Since I made a promise, it was hard because ever since he got his tail broken from my cousin, he would bite and bark at people. The only person that he wouldn’t do these things was to my mom. My mom could pick him up and carry him, but to anyone else, they would get hurt. If I tried to pick him up, I had to wear gloves, and so he wouldn’t go out of control, we had to put him in a box. After a month, he couldn’t stand the box and made a hole in it so he could escape and go around the house. In the beginning he barked at me, but when I went to eat he would beg and jump, and to a seven year old that was exciting to actually see a dog like me, even though he really went for the food, so I gave him some. Everyday I would do something to try to make him like me, such as trying to pet him even when he would try to bite me. I knew that one day he would realize that I’m not going to hurt him. After a long time with dealing with him, he got used to me and I was able to pet him. Now we are best friends forever. He follows me around and now greets me instead of barking at me as before. He even stopped barking at people, well not as much as he used to.

Therefore, I believe in friendship. It doesn’t matter who they are, it just matters what’s inside. Friends care, depend, build trust, and enjoy life with each other. They make life a whole other meaning.