I Believe in Words

Ali - Glendale, California

I believe in the power of words. Do you know the saying, “sticks and stones may break my bones, but words cannot affect me”? Well, that is sometimes true, but in reality, words can affect you. In fact, words can hurt more than any physical injury. If you break an arm, you will get better. If someone insults you, however, the pain might not just go away.

There have been many influential speakers throughout history. They have conveyed messages both positive and negative. People like Adolf Hitler have spread war and anger through speech. His usage of language installed fear in many to either follow or be afraid of him. Others such as Martin Luther King Jr. have expressed and shared hope and change using words. Martin Luther King’s speeches brightened the paths of many by saying things to inspire peaceful co-existence with different races. Even to this day there are speakers like Barack Obama who influence and inspire others.

Barack Obama is a speaker who I particularly admire. This is due to the fact that his words are not just torches flared with false hope and lies. This country is currently in a great financial crisis and is engaged in war. During his campaign for the race to become the next President of the United States, Barack Obama proposed plans in his speeches. These plans were to help America get back on its feet. Some included reducing dependence on foreign oil and affordable healthcare. Most of America approved him to be the next president of the United States of America. He is currently in office and is working to resolve the issues at hand. Obama could not have become the 44th president of this country if it was not for his meaningful usage of words. He spoke and America heard him.

You don’t have to be famous to use the power of words. I don’t need to be a famous politician to know how to debate. Through a well thought-out argument, I can prove to another individual that my computer is far superior to theirs. A person doesn’t even need to speak to use words. As I am writing this essay, I am using words. Just as Thomas Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence, I can write a convincing email to a friend to persuade him to come to my house.

I am also an avid user of words. I write emails, talk to my friends, and write essays for school. I admit that I do not talk as much as others, but my enthusiasm for writing compensates for it. Sometimes, I would much rather text or email a friend than call them. I would also prefer to write an essay and not present a speech for school. This makes me a person who believes that words possess the power needed for a person to speak his or her mind, no matter how they do it.

Words are strong and, therefore, one must use their strength with the utmost care. “With great power comes great responsibility.” This quote can easily be related to the accountability of one’s words. In an odd way, saying something is like squeezing toothpaste out of its tube. Once the toothpaste is out, it’s hard to put it back in the tube. Similarly, once someone says something, it’s hard to take it back. Anyone can use words. That is why I believe in their power.