Ani - Glendale, California

I believe in the strength of will power and determination. All around us, we see dreams coming true. When you have a dream that you’re serious about, determination will get you there. There are many people in our lives that are successful due to their determination and will power to avoid everything that sets them back. People like Barack Obama and my own dad are great examples of what determination can do for you.

Just recently, the United States voted for its first black president. Forty years ago, never would we dream about having a black president and now it is reality. Just 40 years ago, Mr. Obama was about 6 years old. Even though he was very young, he saw with his own eyes how poorly blacks were treated. They couldn’t share water fountains or any other public facilities. Mr. Barack Obama grew up watching black people gain more and more rights and he decided to make a difference. Despite his troubles at home, he turned to books and knowledge. During this harsh period of time, Obama was determined to become one of the state’s senates and he became Senator for Illinois. After just a little experience, he decided to run for President and we all know how that turned out. He worked very hard to get to the place he is now. Despite the hate of many racists, he achieved his goal. Mr. Obama had a goal in mind, and he did everything in his power to get to that goal. Obama is a great example of how determination will help you to achieve whatever you want, especially in the United States.

My own father is a great example of what will power does to you. We all know that once you smoke a cigarette, it’s very hard to stop. My dad wasn’t an addict, but he liked to smoke a lot and he knew it was bad for him. He realized that it’s going to kill him one day because his own father died of lung cancer. So, he decided to quit. We all know that if my dad sets something in his head, he’s going to follow through. Now this was before I was even born and when we came into the picture, he never smoked. Then one day I saw him smoking and I was shocked because I had never seen my dad smoke. Later, he told me this story and how he set his mind to quit and he did, and I was very proud.

Every once in a while, I get a lecture from my parents about determination and will power. They always tell me if I have a goal, I need to follow through no matter how hard it might be. Barack Obama was probably told the same thing and that’s why he’s the first black president of the United States. Barack Obama didn’t let discrimination get to him and he followed through with his goal and that’s a great example to all Americans. My dad proved to me that if you set your mind to something, you have to follow through and it will feel very good once you’ve reached it. Determination and will power will give you a better life, this I believe.