This I Believe: Anything can change.

Ruben - Glendale, California

This I believe: Anything can change.

Does it ever seem that not matter how hard you, try you don’t seem to make it? Ever since 4th grade, math has been hard for me. I despised math. I always would scorn people who enjoyed math. What I didn’t know was that possibly I just thought it was too hard for me and I just shunned it away. My down-wards spiral with math started back in the days of good old arithmetic. Fractions and Decimals kept me puzzled most of the time. And no matter how much I for a test it would always turn out to be not great. I just gave up hope on math and let it just slide by like it was an unimportant subject. I was often embarrassed to ask questions in class.

Just my luck, during the math study in my class I would have to leave to violin practice. At one instance I thought that these practices were the reason for my not so average math grade. But even at home, my grandmother helped me and I still hardly understood it. Basically my whole 4th and 5th grade math was like this. But graduating from elementary school and moving on to middle school was a big thing to me. I received a surprising math grade. It was a 3. As I recall a 3 was pretty much a C in today’s standards.

This was of great shock to me. But I knew I shouldn’t get too cocky with this. For reasons such as Middle school being harder. So over the summer I went to summer school. I had math like most students for 2 hours a day. Summer school fortified me with the confidence to enter into middle school and “command and conquer” math. This plan eventually failed and left me in an even worse place than before. My over-confidence was my downfall. By the end of the year, I had a math tutor that helped me enough to raise my grade to a C+.

But help came a little too late. I took summer school again. And after summer school I had a month to myself! But I used that month to proceed with my math skills. 7th grade has now arrived. Two months passed and I was doing great in the Pre-Algebra class for some odd reason. The teacher seeing me doing well recommended me to Intro to Algebra an advance course. I was a bit nervous. I took an Intro entrance test and got an 25/30.

So they let me in. At this time math was my main focus. I was doing pretty well in this math class. Eight grade came along and I just stopped rolling. It was like the 4th grade all over again. I didn’t understand anything. So I did what I thought was right and asked the counselor to put me back in Intro. I wanted this because I needed a better foundation. I think I did the right thing by going back. And now I landed my self in Clark starting over again with algebra. I feel confident… but not too confident. Now at Clark I’m doing better than I excepted.

This I believe….Anything can change.