Problems with the drinking age

James - wayne, Pennsylvania

Why the Drinking Age Should be 18

Setting the legal drinking to twenty-one was set with good intensions, but has completely backfired. The legal age one should be able to purchase and consume alcohol should be moved down to eighteen for many different reason. It would teach certain virtues at a younger age such as maturity and responsibility, and make college life safer in general.

After one graduates from high school, they are typically off to start their college life. Some might stay close to home or even commute; however the vast majority of students will leave home. They might travel to a different state, or even a different country. This is a time period in one’s life where maturity and responsibility come into play the most. The constant temptation of college life may throw you off course, but it’s the responsible choices you make that will help you succeed. Learning how to drink and handle temptation at a younger age and at home in a safe environment will help develop these virtues to help you get ready for college.

At the age of eighteen, one becomes an adult. I can drive, vote, get married, purchase tobacco, go to jail, and even go to war. All of these activities are much more serious and possibly dangerous then alcohol. Alcohol doesn’t harm people, its irresponsible use of alcohol that does. Kids need to realize drinking doesn’t make one mature, responsible drinking does. So what changes from twenty to twenty-one? New drinkers are always going to be new drinkers and inexperienced, so having them start younger at home in a safe environment with familiar people is much more logical.

Kids are now afraid to get caught drinking at college because of the harsh penalties, and travel off campus to more dangerous locations to get away with it. This can potentially lead to much worse crimes than underage drinking. Anyone can get into a party off campus with bad intensions; however the dorms are very secure and protected. Off campus life can be much rougher, so drinking away from familiar territory such as your dorm can lead to many potential problems.

Students in college need maturity and responsibility more than any other characteristics to succeed. These virtues are vital to be able to deal with the freedom and constant temptation of college. Lowering the drinking age would dramatically help develop these characteristics, as well as make college life in general safer for all students in many different aspects.