The Unexpected

Rushit - Sugarland, Texas

In life, many things come unexpected. It may not always be good though. In this case, the unexpected came for the worst. And it began with simply cleaning a dirty floor.

Stuck to the dark brown leather sofa, my brother and I focus all of our attention to the twenty-six inch TV. My mother works in the kitchen while my father fixes the closet rack that fell down. Anyways, my brother and I lay on the sofa and watching the TV. display one Disney cartoon after the other. A command came from Mom in the kitchen, “Can one of you please go and throw this trash away and then you can go back to what you’re doing?” Immediately a parade of thoughts rushes throughout my mind, all resorting to the extent of how much work I do. Why can’t she do one more thing? But I decide to end the matter and dispose of the trash myself, calling it the day’s exercise. The day basically goes by in harmony.

The day begins, once again, with everybody doing their own things. My father plans to embellish his room and my mother plans to refurbish the kitchen floor. Of course, my brother and I lay around. Sluggishly lying on the sofa, our heart/activity rates begin to ebb. Even though plenty was happening, other than the TV; it seemed quiet. Time passes and Dad asks Mom for a cup of tea. She begins to make it all the while she is cleaning the floor. A few minutes later, a shriek echoes from the kitchen. My mother frantically escapes the kitchen on fire! The men of the household arrive to rescue her. My brother sprints for the fire blanket, in the mean time; my father uses his hands to extinguish the fire. I get the phone and report the situation to cops begging for them to come ASAP. In three minutes, Mom was extinguished. We all receive minor burns but my mother had the worst condition of us all. Taken away in Life Alert, my parents leave to the hospital. My relatives arrive shortly to take me to their house. My brother and I arrange some clothes and head off to my uncle’s home.

Today begins with a sense of fatigue and emotionality. My cousin, brother and I decide to see our house damage. We see that along with damage there is also a lot of dirt and trash in every corner of the living room. We turn around and go home. Slowly our lives begin to progress and it was time to clean the house for my parent’s return. We spent hours and hours of cleaning, dusting, vacuuming, and organizing. But when they returned, their look of astonishment made all the work worth while.

This entire spectacle brought me to realization that I don’t do enough around here. It taught me that in order to survive; we must all cooperate and lend a helping hand.