Just Try It

Cody - Yorktown, Virginia
Themes: change

Do you remember the first time you rode a bike, drove a car, or maybe even went cliff jumping and immediately after either realized how much fun it was or swore to yourself that you’ll never do that again in your life? These are circumstances in which people are expected to steer away from their comfort zone and try something new. One will fail to experience some of the better things life has to offer if they are unwilling to try new things. Trying new things can help you to discover your sense of being.

My willingness to try new things has helped shape me into who I am today. It’s hard to imagine what I would do now if I had never stepped onto a board. You can’t progress in these sports without being willing to try new things. Whether it’s your first time throwing yourself down a set of stairs on a skateboard or your first time staring down the transition of a 13 foot vert ramp and trying to convince yourself to just drop in. You tell yourself to step on your bolts and lean in, there’s really nothing to it.

When trying something new you have to collect from past experiences and your feeling gained from comparable circumstances in order to build up your courage. Seeing a cliff near water tends to give people ideas. If you have previously been cliff jumping it does not take long for the idea of climbing up to the top and jumping to get into your head. Recalling from past experiences is necessary to build up the courage to jump off of a bigger cliff than before. A jump that is comparable to one you have previously done makes the decision simple. Just run up to the edge and be willing to try your new jump. This analogy goes hand in hand with board sports. Your knowledge from similar jumps and objects helps to build up your courage to try something new.

Trying new things can turn out to be very beneficial. Trying something new can open the door for new interests. The choice to try skating for the first time opened my eyes to snowboarding, wakeboarding, and surfing all of which are a huge part of my life and greatly influence my lifestyle. After I graduate from JMU I hope to move out west to Breckenridge, Colorado and start a board company. Trying new things sometimes leads to new opportunities. I wanted to try something new, so I am currently taking Italian. Now I have the opportunity to study abroad in Florence or Reggio Calabara, Italy and reconnect with my Italian and Sicilian heritage and culture. Trying new things has turned out to be very beneficial to giving me the wide variety of opportunities that I have today.

This I believe, people should be willing to try new things. What can you go out and try, that you’ve been holding back on?