Today’s Entertainment

Thomas - Angleton, Texas

I believe in wholesome entertainment. When I was little, I would get up early and watch the Ink and Paint Club on the Disney channel. This was simply a collection of Mickey Mouse cartoons piled into one thirty minute long show. That was my favorite show. As I got older I enjoyed Popeye, Tom and Jerry, and Looney Toons. Even though these were violent, they were funny family entertainment. These days you can’t escape the violence. It’s everywhere you look: posters, movies, the Internet, etc.

I love to play my X-Box, but I haven’t bought a new game in ages because it seems as if almost all of the games are filled with blood and gore. We have gone from Mario squashing walking mushrooms, to Dead Space where humans are transformed into monsters and have their limbs severed. That is an example of the current violence level. It wasn’t that long ago when we wouldn’t have even dreamed of making a game like that.

I believe that we should stop the violence that is debasing our society. This isn’t something that can be ignored. You can’t watch that violence and be the same afterward. People have gone on rampages because they got so caught up in a game. Every aspect of crime has increased and I believe that the type of entertainment we have is to blame. If you have ever gone hunting or fishing and killed and cleaned an animal, it gives you a respect for life that you don’t get anywhere else. After you have done that and seen violence in the real world, these forms of entertainment seem even more cruel than before. I can’t engage in this type of entertainment without feeling bad. I believe that we can change this; however, the media will continue to get worse as we pretend not to care. But how many parents would sit with their children and watch Saw? None that I know of. The older generation doesn’t enjoy this form of entertainment–it’s us. That’s the scary thing. We put up with this and are slowly delving deeper into it. I believe we have to stop this; if not for us, then for the coming generations. This I believe.