Circle of Life

Faye - Sugar Land, Texas

When a baby bird grows up and leaves the nest, it will have maybe learned the skills necessary to survive on its own. If it had not, then that baby bird would probably suffer a long and troubling life. This “circle of life” goes the same way with humans. As young children and adolescents, encouraging parents throw them into camps and extracurricular activities to find out what their special talent is. Whether this talent, athletic or political, social skills usually end up used. Unfortunately, for me I did not intend to learn these people skills or any social skills for that matter.

For many years, my mother has insisted I join a summer camp at the University of Houston. Every single time she would ask me, I would flat out say N-O. As a young child, I always seemed nervous and would shy away from people when they tried to greet me. I had my little group of people that I knew well and trusted. As for that camp, I had no intentions of going to a two-week camp and meeting new people. This was not some ordinary camp; you had to SLEEPOVER for the entire first week and then go back home for the weekend then sleepover AGAIN for the final week. As if meeting new people was not bad enough, I had to sleep in a dorm with them! I seriously doubted my mother’s mental sanity right then.

My mother can annoy you to do something for so long; I can end up doing it just out of sheer irritation. For some strange reason, I somehow ended up going to the camp. The few days before the start of camp sped by so quickly, I hardly remembered sleeping and eating. Then all of a sudden, the day came. The day I would be leaving my friends and family to meet people I have never seen before in my entire life.

As the days of camp kept ticking by, I stopped shying away from people. No one at this camp knew each other so we were all on even footing. Even though I have never tried to make friends or acquaintances, I realized that this would have to happen here at camp. I did not want to be the outsider. As I started to make friends, the little confidence I had for I started growing. Instead of cautiously thinking things through detail-by-detail, I tried it and saw what would happen. I became much more outgoing, far more than I used to be. Before I believed that people would judge me and that was why I was always so hesitant. Now I know that people will always judge me for the things I do and for who I am but it should not bother me in any way. What I think of myself is what truly counts.