Just a Little Different

Kirby - Sugar Land, Texas

“Truth or dare?”

“Truth.”

“What’s your deepest, darkest secret?”

I racked my brain for anything to say, even though I already knew what my secret was. But how was I supposed to tell a roomful of people, that I never had a dad? How on earth could I explain to them that my two moms were gay? True, telling sure as heck isn’t the scary part. The scary part is not knowing what people are going to say.

I still remember preschool where I told one of my friends about my family. She laughed and told me that she wasn’t my friend anymore because not having a dad was weird. This tore me apart, it humiliated me. I thought something was wrong with my parents. I was ashamed of them for being different. I was even angry with them for making me different without me even doing anything. When I was four, that was the worst feeling of my life and so I resolved not to tell anyone anymore. I swore I would never tell, that I would just plaster a smile on my face and say I have a mom and a dad.

As I grew up, I wondered why my family was rejected from society. Why I felt so nervous and ashamed when I told people the truth. I couldn’t understand how my parents’ being gay was such a big deal considering I am not gay myself. But then I realized no matter how much I wished my peers would just accept my family, it was up to them how to react. All I can do is try to open their eyes.

I know having a unique family has changed the way I view other families. In my eyes, families are all the same, it doesn’t matter if they have two moms, two dads, just one parent, or one mom and dad. It doesn’t matter who your family is or what they are, just that they all love each other, that they’re there for each other. It matters that you still are close, through good times and bad. Families are people that you’ve laughed and cried the most with. No one has the right to say that’s wrong, even if the family is a little different. If you care about other people being gay or not, I can’t change that, just know that you’re hurting a lot more people than you realize. You hurt the entire family, including the people you didn’t want to.

Now, I know there is nothing wrong with my family. People just can’t see past the fact that it’s different. That difference keeps them from accepting my family. Just because someone is gay or has gay parents doesn’t mean you should change your opinion about them. In fact, it shouldn’t matter at all. People should accept each other no matter who they are, where they come from, and who their families are, and this I believe.