Acting without Thinking

Azim Pothiawala - Sugar Land, Texas

Please don’t let my foot to be broken; please don’t let my foot to be broken. I did a silent prayer in my head. I fell from the bleachers at school, yesterday. I had hurt my leg so bad that I had to get an x-ray done but the doctor could not decide whether my leg was broken. I was then scheduled to come to the Richmond Bone and Joint Clinic. I was so worried that my foot has a fracture, that I barely got any sleep last night. While I was sitting there in the clinic’s waiting room, thinking, it suddenly hit me that this thing is entirely my fault. If I had just thought things through in gym and decided not to climb the bleachers, I wouldn’t have fallen and I wouldn’t be here, I would be at school having fun.. I had always heard the expression ‘’ think before you act’’ but when my mom told me this, it just went through one ear and out the other. I always thought I thought things through but it seems like this time I didn’t. A nurse came in, interrupting me thoughts by calling my name to come into the room. I wheeled myself into the room using the wheelchair I sat in. After asking me a few questions she left. When she left, I experimented with the wheelchair and tried to figure out how to use. Having trouble turning, I knocked over the trash can and a diagram of the foot before I figured out how to turn correctly. For a few minutes I forgot about what could happen to me even though the thing I sat in could be something I might have to use for a while. When the doctor came in, I saw that he didn’t look like a doctor but someone in the army. I wanted to ask him if he had ever joined but I didn’t because it might seem impolite. He asked me the same questions as the nurse and examined my foot and the x-rays and came to the conclusion that I had sprained my foot but not broken it. I sighed with relief but then remembered to ask how I will walk. He told me I had to wear a special boot until my foot healed. It was bizarre looking with a lot of straps and Velcro. It worked by providing extra support and cushion but it looked something that would take a while to put on. I put it on and I found out that I could walk with just a little pain. I walked out of the clinic on my own and sat in the car. Driving home, I rejoiced in the fact that it wasn’t as serious as the physician said it was. I learned that you should think about the consequences of things before you do them or you may make things worse for yourself.