My Life in a Bubble

Cole - Holton, Kansas

I have lived a wonderful life. In my opinion it has been close to perfect. Behind my house in the Kansas countryside sits a big back yard, complete with a pond, two dogs, woods for romping through, and a rock-climbing wall. In the spring there is newly greening fields of hay and alfalfa, with the smell of fresh cut grass. During summer I always look forward to a day swimming and rock-climbing, ending the day with steaks on the barbecue. In autumn nothing is better than to go out early on a Saturday morning and sit in a kayak and watch as mist rises around you in the crisp autumn air. In winter there is ice-skating, snowball fights and sledding, and watching birds make delicate little tracks around the feeder searching for there favorite seeds. With stuff to do all year long, what more could a kid want?

Even with such a wonderful life there is still one problem. I isolated myself from the world. Its as if I live in a bubble. I wake up go to school then come home and wait for the next day, day in and day out. I have no social life. I never go out with my friends, or go to the school dances, or go watch a basketball or football game. I just stay home. I think there is something wrong with that. I belive that there it is important to socialize, to leave home every once and a while and spend time with friends, even if you don’t want to. It’s the one major thing I think I could do to improve my life, the one thing that I already regret. Sure I have friends and on occasion go and do something with them, just rarely, very rarely. Most of the time I contentedly sit back and let my world go by. By surrounding myself with scenery I am able to pretend that my life is truly complete. Unfortunately the only person I’m fooling is myself, and not even that works all the time.

Even with all its faults, living life separate from other people does have its advantages. For one it offers a unique perspective; and out of my view from the sidelines several beliefs have made themselves clear. One is the importance of friendship, and how important it is to maintain those friendships. It is what I believe could make many people very happy and do a lot of good. Imagine all the times in your life when something was really hard. If you had a friend there to help you I think you would find it was that big of a problem after all.

I hope that one day I will not just to have scenery in my back yard but have people that can share it, because without friends all the scenery in the world is just that, scenery. Humans are social animals; we need other people to thrive. So take it from the kid in the bubble, don’t live in one. Keep your friends close and leave your house when you can. Maybe some day I’ll pop my bubble and truly have the perfect life.