Do I Appreciate and Respect Everything

Jay - Holton, Kansas

Do I Appreciate and Respect Everything?

I believe that everyone should appreciate and respect the things in life that they have, like a roof over their heads, food to eat, parents, and even school. I thought to myself, do I appreciate and respect the things I have or do I just throw them aside like they are worthless to me?

I used to wish I lived in a nicer house. I realize now that I am fortunate to live in a house that is filled with things that aren’t a necessity. I guess in a way I am what some people might think was a spoiled child. I had the Game boy, Play station and X-Box etc. Sometimes I felt like I didn’t have what other kids have. I know now that my parents always made sure I didn’t do without the things I really needed.

I can remember that my parents would always preach that you should always eat everything on your plate because there are starving kids everywhere in the world and that I am fortunate not to be one of those kids.

As far as my parents, I am very lucky to have them, even though they got a divorce when I was twelve years old. I still love them both and I know they love me. I’m very close to both of my parents. I feel very privileged to have them as my parents, especially when I know there are so many kids that only have one parent or some that have none at all. I am also fortunate to have an amazing older sister. We are very close and I know she is always there for me good or bad.

And then there is school, such a dreadful word to a kid. I used to hate to go to school; I thought it was so pointless to go to school at 8 in the morning when I could be sleeping in till noon like I usually do during the summer. But I realized, as I got older that I am so lucky for the education that I am getting and the wonderful school and friends I get to see 5 days out of the week. When I think I only have a little over three years to be in high school, And it is kind of scary on how fast its all going. My mom has told me that my high school years will go so fast and that I need to enjoy every bit of it and study hard so that I can make something of myself.

I think people should appreciate and respect the things they get to have. This I Believe.