There is Good in Everything

Shannon - Whiting, Kansas

I believe that there is good in everything! This last summer my grandma got really really sick. My family had to take her in and take care of her. We turned our house upside down just so it was easy for my grandma. I love my grandmother to death but at the time I was a 14 year old and was only thinking about all the fun I was going to have that summer and how I was so excited for high school! I never thought that I would spend almost every day at my house just to make sure my grandma would eat right and take her blood sugar.

I was so selfish and was only looking at the bad! All I could think of was how the t.v. was always on CNN or how I didn’t want friends to come over because we might be too loud and disturb her as she went to bed at about six o clock. But what I didn’t realize is that hanging out with my grandma all summer just might have been one of the best things for her and even me.

Being with her all the time gave her someone to talk to and get her mind off of how sick she was. I am sure that she loved being in the know with me and my parents and everything that was going on in our lives. My dad always says “hind sight is always 20, 20”, and he is right. Looking back spending that much time with her was great for me! I learned things and found out things about myself that I never knew! I now have even more memories of my grandma than I thought.

I know a lot worse things happen in the world, and I know that a lot of people say that everything happens for a reason. I don’t really know about that. I don’t think that God said: “Bernadine M I am going to make you sick so your family can learn some things about life.” I think that some bad things happen and that God makes it valuable in the world! He makes good things come out of the bad! Good always wins!

I have learned to look on the bright side of life and not focus on things that are out of my control and how bad those things just might be. but instead look at the good and enjoy life for how it is! When one door closes another opens! There is good in everything! This I believe!