Happiness depends upon me

Samantha - Holton, Kansas

I believe that Happiness depends upon myself.

When I am having a bad day, I usually try to figure out something to do so that my bad day doesn’t interfere with everybody else’s day. One of the things that I have found that works is laughing. Sometimes I laugh at things people say that isn’t even funny, and some people kind of wonder what I am laughing at. Other times I just talk myself into having a good day or at least show that I am having a good day when I am having a bad day.

I learned this trait from my grandpa. He was always happy no matter what was going on. When I was little I asked him how he was so happy all of the time and his reply was that he had no reason to be sad, mad, or in a bad mood.

Growing up I kind of wondered what he meant by that saying. There was always that day when my sister pinched, hit, or tripped me, and it always made me so mad. If I were to get mad then that would ruin my whole day. She always thought that it was funny if she hit me, so that made the day even worse.

Now that I have put up with all of that stuff when either of my sisters, and I get into a fight, I always know that even if I get hurt I can still be happy. If my sisters and I do get into a fight I usually never get mad, because I am so used to it.

When my grandpa died I used his own words from keeping me from being so sad and angry with him for leaving. When we met with the rest of my family, everybody was crying, except me. I had my grandpa’s saying in my head at that moment. Everybody looked at me like I didn’t even care that he died. What I told them was what my grandpa told me. I had no reason to be mad, or in a bad mood. When they all realized that it was just that easy to think of that they all told me that, that saying was a very good idea. What they didn’t know was that didn’t come from my own mind. It came from my grandpa’s.

I believe that happiness depends upon myself.