One Life, Once Chance

Adam - Holton, Kansas
Themes: carpe diem

One Life, One Chance

You only have one life Live it to the fullest. When I was a young boy, my father always said “ You only have one life live it to the fullest.” I never really understood why. Eventually I found out.

One day when my family (my mom, my sister, my brother, and I) were sitting at our house when we got a phone call. It was my dad’s best friend. What had happened is, that my father was on his way home (his girlfriend right beside him). He was drinking and driving. He came to a sharp curve in the road, it was a 40mph speed limit, and he was going 90.

When he reached the middle of the curve he was on the opposite side of the road. Coming at him from the other side was a black car, the family of my dad’s best friend. My dad’s friend wasn’t there; he was at work (he was a firefighter). My dad’s car was set on fire instantly; he covered his girlfriend with his body to save her life. My dad’s friend said he was the first to the scene. My father was still alive. He said my father took his hand and told him, “ Tell my family I love them, I will miss them, and I am very sorry.”

I am not sure if he lived his life to the fullest, I don’t really think he did though. I was only six when he died; I will say it changed my life, but it didn’t turn me into a bad kid or someone always wanting to fight. It made me think more, made me think more about what he said. I finally get what he was trying to tell me all those years ago.

After his death life went on. I am not going to say it was the same because of course it wasn’t the same. Before his death I was a boring kid on the verge of becoming very over weight. Even though I was young I wasn’t don’t much anything besides eating, watching television, and being lazy. After my fathers death I was constantly thinking of what he said “ You only have one life live it to the fullest.”

I didn’t think being fat and lazy was living my life to the fullest. I decided to start living my life. After going through many sports and many days in the weight room I began to see a change in myself, a change I liked. I still believe in having one life and living it to the fullest.