Laws

Cortney - Holton, Kansas

Laws

It was a cool day in March; the phone was ringing early in the morning. I picked up and nobody was there. I went back to bed, and they keep calling and calling and all I heard was deep breaths so I thought that it was just a prank call. I turned the ringer off and went back to sleep so I could get up for school.

I get up and get ready for school, and my dad tells me that my brother had been in an accident and is in the Emergency Room, and he doesn’t know what all is wrong. Right then my heart sunk to my toes and I lost it. I thought that my brother was going to die or was in really bad condition. I was tough and went to school anyway. I went to school and it was the worst day ever. I finally found out that my brother was ok. He only had a cut; it was his best friend who had died. My brother was the one who was driving his truck drunk and under age, and killed his best friend Shawn.

I finally got out of school and went home to find my brother there. Once I saw him I started crying all over again. The tears were tears of joy, to know that he was still alive and only walked away with a scratch. After the next couple of days he had saw his lawyer and he said he could be faced with 14 years in prison. 7 months of court passed and finally the day came to the real point of the sentencing trial. I woke up that morning to find myself going to school once again but getting out at noon to go see my brother. I walked in the courthouse and could smell the smell of paper and it was quite I didn’t want to go into the courtroom. Finally 2 hours later the judge made his decision and said he was being locked up for 21 months because of his age and of his alcohol level. You could hear and feel all the sadness in the air in the courtroom but feel the relief of Shawn’s family, which is the family of my brother’s best friend who had died. My brother was making his way down our line of family to give hugs and kisses. It was my turn next and I was crying so much but my brother came up to me and said, “Little sis you have to be strong for the hole family they depend on you. If mom, grandma, or grandpa need help please help them out it will make things easier and make time go by faster.”

This I believe the laws are very strict. Drinking and driving should have stricter rules, but if I were in Shawn’s family’s shoes I would want the same thing for sentencing for Shawn but longer.