People are Inherently Good

Evan - Virginia Beach, Virginia

People are Inherently Good

I’ve always been amazed at how people interact and develop with one another. From day one, people begin building relationships with those around them with the hopes of fulfilling the psychological needs that all humans have. It is an important part of the human experience to be loved, make friendships, and feel respected by your peers. Every human being, regardless of who they may be, shares this desire to be liked and loved. As I go through my own life more and more, I constantly see more and more proof that these people who become criminals or otherwise represent a small minority in this world, and that most people are good. While it is human nature to at times be lead away from this goodness, I believe that people can be rehabilitated and saved from a bad life. I believe that people are inherently good.

Not a day goes by that I don’t see a person helping someone else (usually a complete stranger) in some way or another. Whether or not this person is doing a small favor such as holding a door, helping someone to pick up dropped books, giving directions to curious parents, or even just talking to someone that looks like they’re having a bad day, it seems that people are really out not to further themselves, but rather to help out those around them who need it.

It is my core belief that every person brought into this world starts their lives with a perfectly clean slate and is able to mold themselves into the person they want to be. Everyone is shaped into the person they become by the things they do throughout their life, and everyone has high hopes to be remembered for the good things that they have done. It is by people trying to quench this longing for success that they may be changed into something different from the pure beginning they were born with.

In growing older, it is an individual’s unique life experiences shape him or her into the person that he or she will eventually become. It is no more than a fact of life that not everyone will hold onto their compassion and goodness that people are born with. While this may, at first, seem a pessimistic thought, it shouldn’t, for I have faith in the rehabilitation of people. No matter how far some people may have strayed from their inherent kindness, they can always be returned to goodness.

My religion first introduced me to this thought, and since then I have found it to be true through my own life experiences. From seeing how people behave when they think no one else is looking, I know that people just want to help each other do well in life. So the next time you see someone drop a book, or someone who needs to talk, help them out. You never know whose day you may be making, or whose life you may be touching.