Cancer Has an Enemy

Conner - Holton, Kansas
Themes: illness

Cancer Has an Enemy

I never really knew what the big fuss was about cancer until it hit my family. My grandmother was diagnosed with cancer, which later killed her as it metastasized to various parts of her body. The doctors said she would have two weeks to live. My grandmother ended up living over 6 months.

Even through those last 6 months I still had no idea what cancer was, or how it killed people. I remember thinking why isn’t there a cure for it? If only it was that easy. I now realize, after being in classes that have explained to me, what cancer is why it is so deadly.

That whole experience affected my life in many ways. It helped me realize the love I have for all of my family members, and to treasure the life I have while I can. It also has made me aware of why it is important to stay in good health, and to avoid harmful things such as drugs and alcohol.

Of course, it’s not just my family who has dealt with the issue of cancer. There are thousands of families who were and are in the same position that I was. All of them want a simple thing, a cure for cancer. I believe that there is a cure for cancer that we will eventually find.

Not only would a cure for cancer save many lives each year, but it also would prove that our human race could overcome obstacles that seem inevitable. I feel that if more people are aware of what cancer is, and decide to support the people who are trying to prevent cancer, it will be an easier task to get rid of it all together.

We have already taken many huge steps on the way to treating cancer, these include chemotherapy, radiation, and other forms of treatment used to destroy cancer. It seems that we are so close to our final goal of treating it all together.

I have heard of people who argue that cancer is good in the way that it helps keep our population in check. I feel that those people have not been affected by cancer. I also think that they don’t see the huge percentage of people diagnosed with cancer, and the even bigger percentage of those who are affected by loved ones with cancer.

I believe that cancer has a cure, and that eventually cancer will be a thing in the past. This I believe.