Appreciate What You Have While it’s There

Emily - Holton, Kansas
Themes: death

Growing up my Grandma and I were really close. I would always ask if I could go to Grandma and Grandpa’s house to play when I was little. It was the most fun place to be in the world, or to me at least. My grandma and I would sing and play the piano together, go play outside, or even get out every single thing in the kitchen and let me cook her dinner.

One year my brothers and my sister, my mom, my Grandma and I all went to Branson for a vacation. I was very excited. We got there and for a few days we had a lot of fun. Until one day my grandma told my brothers and sister and me something that wasn’t right. She started acting really funny and not so much like herself. We went back home a few days later and everything seemed to be fine. It happened again and she went to the doctor.

They ran some tests and she got a cat scan on her brain. They came back positive for Dementia. Dementia is a form of Alzheimer’s disease. We just had to accept what was happening and just live our lives. We had to watch my Grandma’s mind slowly get worse and worse every day.

There was nothing at all that we could do. We tried to spend as much time with her as we could. Then one day my parents and my grandpa had to make the decision to put her in a nursing home.

She was there for a little over 5 years and almost every night for those 5 years my family and I were there to visit her. She didn’t remember any of us. Actually, she didn’t remember how do to anything for herself. People had to feed her, dress her, and sometimes help her walk.

Then when I was in 5th grade my grandma started to get a weird rash and she wasn’t doing so well. They moved her to the hospital where she spent her last few months. The rash continued to spread and my grandma continually got worse. After around three months she passed away at the age of 63. They soon found out she had the staff infection MRSA.

Even though she didn’t have to suffer anymore, it was really hard to not have her just be there. My family had a really hard time with it, but at the funeral was when I realized that I shouldn’t take anything for granted. I did spend a lot of time with her but if I would’ve known anything like that would have happened, I would have appreciated it way more.

Today I look around and I’m thankful for what I have and the people that are in my life. I know that I couldn’t have controlled what happened to my grandma but it taught me a good lesson. I believe people do take all they have for granted and need to slow down to appreciate all they have around them while they have it.