Turn of Events

Kristina - Sugar Land, Texas

“Galveston is officially under water, due to flood.”

My family sat on the couch together, watching the news, all channels surrounding one subject: Hurricane Ike. We sat looking at devastations from the natural catastrophe praying our family would be saved from harm. The news’ reporter stated the flood level in Galveston when– out goes the power. At that note, we decided to go to bed. The next morning, I awoke, and for the next four days, life took a surprising turn.

“Raneeee! Wake up!” Mikee called out as I awoke into consciousness. It was Day 3; still no electricity. No computer, television, cell phones. At this point, it had been so long without electricity, I could endure it. I got out of bed and went to the kitchen where we ate and discussed what we would be doing for the day; I settled on rereading a book that I enjoyed. I sat on the couch, all the family in one room. As I sat there reading my book, Dad decided he would break the peaceful silence.

“Mikee, let’s debate about politics,” he suggested. Of course, my sister declined his offer, her reason that she knew she would become hot-headed in the discussion. Did that stop Dad from continuing? Of course not! He continued pushing her about her opinions on abortions, and without realizing it; my sister began to debate, her face redder by the second. Dad, on the other hand, had an expression on his face that looked somewhat like amusement. It wasn’t until I realized why my dad’s expression was set the way it was that I burst into hysterical giggling. I realized with internet taken away, Dad was left with nothing to do. This is what boredom had done to my father. I looked around at the rest of my family; they all seemed to be sharing in Dad’s amusement. No electricity brought my family together.

After a few hours, Mikee and I went rollerblading around the neighborhood, chatting with neighbors as we rollerbladed. I found this odd, seeing as, if it hadn’t been for Ike, Mikee and I would probably have never started talking to our neighbors. Was the outcome of Ike bringing my community together as well? Whatever it was doing, I had never been happier.

Two days later, things changed. Again. Although I wasn’t sure I was happy with this change. We had our power back, but the closeness my family had pulled together during our four days of uncivilization drifted apart as everyone went their own ways. My family and I seemed to be so consumed with electronics that we didn’t even seem to notice the beautiful weather outside that we would have enjoyed otherwise.

So, I began wondering, is this technological-based civilization what’s best for our world, and even more important to me, my family? My four days of uncivilization was not the four days of torture that I had predicted it would be; it was more like pure paradise. Seeing my family together, being active, and interacting with my neighbors; all of us happy. It made me happy.

When the electricity returned, the string that pulled my family, and even my community together, seemed to snap. I realized this generation made everyone more distant. To this day, I can’t help but want to relive those four days of heaven; or at least my own personal version.