The beauty of Being Young

Brandt - York, Pennsylvania

It is almost impossible to grow up without being asked the question, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” In fact you will likely be asked this question repeatedly almost every year of your childhood. What makes this question so unique and so beautiful is that no matter how many times it is asked, it seems the answer always changes. Even now if I were to be asked this question it would be different on a day to day basis. In fact, for me, it was so much easier to come up with a pure answer when I was younger. Back then it was possible to be anything that I could possibly dream. Some of the most common future jobs I intended to have included being a chef, professional basketball player, power ranger, and Jedi. What seems so naïve and childish now was so real and achievable when I was younger. I believe that being young is the greatest gift a person can ever have and shouldn’t be taken advantage of.

When I was young there was no such thing as time. Every day was endless and just continued from the previous day. I think about now and how my whole life basically depends on me knowing what time it is and how much time I have before I need to leave to go do something. When I was young I could have never guessed the time of day it was, and there was no need to. There was always someone there to take care of that for you. I would off be in the woods for what could have been four hours or forty minutes and never really know. My friends and I took everything one second at a time and left it up to our parents to call us for dinner, or for an appointment that they made for us. Even if we had to be gone for the rest of the day it was no worries, for tomorrow was a new day and still the rising action of a never ending tale.

The greatest thing to me about being young was the innocence that came along with it. There were very few things about the world that you were an expert on and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. With age obviously comes wisdom, but what if it is knowledge and experience that you don’t want. Making it to college means knowing a pretty good amount about the world. For example it is obvious to us now why clouds form, or why ponds turn to ice when it gets cold. I realized that I already had answers to some of these same simple questions when I was six years old, and although they were far from being correct, I liked them better anyway. Clouds were simply an accumulation of cotton candy that the wind picked up and put together, and rainbows were made by leprechauns so that they could share their gold. I miss living in a world with that imagination and that much cognitive freedom.