True Responsibility

Lauren - Sugar Land, Texas

“Mom, do you think it would be all right if we got a puppy?”

I was six years old when I said this to my mother. My older brother, Tim, and I, had wanted a puppy for awhile now and our parents knew this. Apparently they had thought about it because they said yes! That day we went to the SPCA and bought a puppy. Driving home, we considered different names after my parents signed the adoption paperwork. Cashmere, her new name, had brown fur and brown eyes. For a couple of weeks our family had the same routine every day. We played with Cash, fed her, took her on long walks, and then we discovered her true nature.

When I left for school one day, my dad put Cash in the kitchen which he had blocked up with wooden boards, and my dad drove me to school. As Mother’s day came closer, I had this special present for my mother. The present was a little, paper teacup filled with individual tea packets. Unfortunately, I had left the present on the kitchen table and I forgot to hide it in my bedroom and hadn’t realized it until I got to school. Then in the hallway, I thought that Cash might get a hold of it and rip it apart! After ten minutes of freaking out, I dismissed the thought and anxiously awaited the trip home.

When Tim and I came home from school, I opened the front door and was happy to hear from Cash, until I saw the kitchen. The kitchen floor, covered with torn up pieces of paper, was a horrible sight! I was most upset though to see my mom’s present lying on the floor torn in half! I wanted to start crying the second I had taken in everything.

We ran around the house to try and clean up the mess as fast as we could. Unfortunately, my mom walked in when we almost finished and wanted to know what happened. We told her the story, and she threw a fit! None of us talked that evening; we just minded our business and pretended nothing happened.

That night, I replayed the whole day in my head. At this exact moment, I realized what I thought about Cash. We truly love her, but she’s an extra problem that we always had to worry about. We cleaned her up after a bath, took her on walks, and the list kept on going. We never talk about that day now, but I know they remember it. Unfortunately, when we moved into an apartment we gave Cash to our aunt and uncle. To this day, Cash still lives with them and we live peacefully knowing she has a good home. I personally miss her often, but whenever I regret the choice we made, I look back at the challenge Cash presented and the effort it takes to care for family members.