Sorry We Have Been Delayed

Shannon - Sugar Land, Texas

“Life is not fair.” That famous statement is true in many ways, and it has always been true. Almost everyone learns this life lesson at different times and some people believe life is fair so it just depends on their point of view. I learned this lesson at an airport July third the day of the family reunion.

I remember the thoughts rushing through my head on the drive to the airport. Being excited and hyper, the thought of meeting new family members just overwhelmed me.

I recall dashing into the airport thinking about how plain the walls and carpet were. Now that I rethink of July third I remember the cold dead silence.

Once we checked in and got to our gate I pressed my face against the glass window looking for planes taking off. Looking at the pouring rain, my blissful thoughts started to become thoughts of anguish. Five minutes before eight a low voice came on the intercom, “I’m sorry but it seems because of the heavy rain we can’t take off till tomorrow morning.” My hopes of actually going to the reunion started to drift away.

The next morning we finally took off for Los Angeles. My thoughts from yesterday started coming back. This time I started thinking of how many cousins my age would like me or maybe even would I like them. Walking to my seat, thoughts rushed through my head forming a mental image. I knew how the house setting would look because I have been there a few years ago. May, my aunt, would be hosting the party so I imagined family members moving around in her backyard. I remember the image, I saw my uncle at the barbeque and kids surrounding the pool. I remember the nerves; I remember the feeling of my heart almost beating out of my chest.

I remember walking off the plane with my family and seeing all of the gift shops. The airport in Los Angeles was much more vibrant then the one in Houston. Once we got outside the airport we started searching for Aunt May.

Finally arriving at the family reunion I couldn’t help but have a nervous feeling deep down inside. In the end I realized that I had nothing to be scared of. Swimming in the backyard pool I never realized that I met dozens of new cousins. I realized when you are around family all you have to be is yourself.

I just wish that the family reunion would have lasted longer; it seemed to end so soon. Maybe if it didn’t rain at the airport I would feel differently, but either way I still had a great time. The reunion really helped me learn life is not always fair and life can be unexpected.