Summer Kittens

Vera - Sugar Land, Texas

Summer vacation is when kids go swimming, visit relatives, and well go on vacation. Watch TV, play videogames, and become part couch potato, that’s all I did. By mid June my best friend, the couch.

One day I actually got up and went outside to play with my dog. For awhile, Jenna, my dog, had been smelling and digging under our shed. She would bark and swipe under it. My mom finally got tired of it. She took a flashlight and shown it under the shed. It gleamed on two big eyes. My mom jumped back and told me to look under there, I didn’t see anything.

The next morning my mom saw three little kittens poke their heads out from under the shed. She called me over to come see. I cooed at their jaunty antics waiting for their mother’s return. I begged my mom if I could feed them. She let me feed them some tuna from the back of the back of the pantry. I emptied the can on a plate, went inside, and waited. Soon three little heads emerged and must have wondered who left this mysterious meal. But soon they started chewing up little pieces of tuna.

My sister and I began feeding them everyday, it had become our daily routine. This went on until about the end of July then my mom said they had to go. At first my sister and I had no idea how to cope with this task at hand. We knew the calico would be easiest to catch because she’s calm and loves to eat. The white one, the shyest, and the black and white one, just CRAZY. After a couple of days I caught the calico (no sweat). Then the next day my sister caught the black and white one (super hard!). Sadly, the white one died and the mother left, and that was the end of that. With them gone I realized without them I would have become part of the couch. I missed them and wondered about them. But I remembered I had a dog that I really seemed to ignore that summer. Plus to add to that we got a new dog after we took them to the shelter, they were part of my summer and I was glad they were.