DeBari - SugarLand, Texas

Have you ever taken someone for granted unknowingly and or unwillingly? Earlier in my life, my mother did her every best to get me well prepared for school. Being youngest child attending school at that time, my mom made an extra effort to get me ready properly. There was such a difference between my brother born before me that his time to catch the bus didn’t agree with mine.

At that stage in life I wasn’t really fond of getting up to alarm clock; so my mom being the wonderful mother she is, woke me up every morning. After yawning and stretching she and I would say our good morning prayer to God. Still walking staggered, I went on continuing my morning activities, brushing my teeth and taking shower; while my mom went downstairs to make sure my older siblings got onto the bus and prepared my breakfast. My mom cleaned and ironed my clothes the night before. So it was very easy to get ready in the morning. My mother is a very strong believer in no last minute things. After concluding my upstairs duties I came down to the kitchen to eat delicious breakfast. While I ate my amazing breakfast, my mother fine tuned my hair. After finishing my breakfast, I gave all the kisses to Daddy and all the hugs to Grandma it was time for me to head out of the door.

My mom always walked me to the bus stop and waited with me for the bus. I never really acknowledged her for what she did for me until she began to work. Part of the reason she took her hands off was because I was, to some extent, growing out of her help, mentally and physically. Probably another reason why this method gradually slowed down was because my mom was getting older and I passed the stage of her babying me. My mother bought me an alarm clock, to save herself from climbing steps to yell and scream at a deaf ear. Then a time came that I realized the changes and asked why she stopped helping me get up in the morning. She answered me with analogy. If a child tries to ride a bike without training wheels an adult will help you until you can maintain your balance, then little by little the adult lets go so you and ride on your own. So in other words, she trained me for the day she would be gone to work and I would still be able to get ready by myself.

Being a child and on my own, I thought I was all grown up and becoming mommies “big girl”, but little did I know my mom and I were tinkering with or making our relationship fuzzy . But now that I am officially riding with out training wheels I fell I took her helpfulness for so little. I still believe that we should be thankful in all ways