The Power of Music

Brad - Lititz, Pennsylvania

Imagine a world without music. Movies and T.V. would not be the same. There would be no music classes, no instruments, no marching band, no iPod, and no High School Musical. Music can influence our lives more than we realize. It can be broad, powerful, individual, or meaningful. Music is an important idea and that is why I believe in the power of music.

Music is broad. I would bet that anybody reading this essay has heard at least one song today before this instant. With current technology music is heard through many mediums in many different locations. It is involved in various areas of society. In entertainment, music is used in movies and television to add an emotion or flavor to the film. In the world of business music is prevealent. Think of how many music shops there are in your town. This doesn’t include recording studios or production facilities around the country. Music also has a broad range of varieties. Jazz, rock, rap, reggae, hip-hop, and country are just a few examples current genres.

Music is powerful. It can influece your emotions and feelings. How many songs have made you happy, sad, exited, or relaxed? Almost every song is accompanied by an emotion. Acclaimed film composer Virgil Thomson once said, “I’ve never met a musician who regretted being one. Whatever deceptions life may have for you, music itself is not going to let you down.” That is a powerful statement. Music is also powerful in the world of politics. That is why every presidential candidate since 1984 has used a campaign song to target an audience or get their message out.

Music is individual. I played piano for five years before switching to guitar which I still play after eight years. I find it is a great means of relaxation and personal expression. Everyone has their own taste in music. We even judge people based on their musical taste. Musical taste can spark a conversation or end one.

Music is meaningful. A song can display an emotion, a message, a belief, or a feeling of the writer. Music has a meaningful history. It dates back as far as civilization and is changing frequently. Imagine if someone from Mozart’s era heard something like Kanye West or the Red Hot Chile Peppers.

In conclusion music plays a huge role in today’s society. It can be described as broad, powerful, individual, or meaningful. However, it can be described in plenty of other ways as well. Nobody will ever be able to put together a complete definition of music because it means so many different things to everyone it touches. That is why I believe in the power of music.