The Downfall in my Crystal Dream

Merziya - Sugar Land, Texas

The audience applauded loudly as I stood in front of them with the Spelling Bee first place trophy. I imagined this as my classmates clapped their hands since I had won the Spelling Bee for my class. The wide grin that fell across my face and the feeling of doing somersaults just wouldn’t go away at the time. I couldn’t believe I had spelled the last few words correctly when I had never heard of them. I felt invincible and destined to win.

For the next few months I studied the words so much that some of them became part of my vocabulary.

At last the day came of which I had dreamed of. I wore my new clothes and straightened my hair until my hair felt like pure silk. Walking into the Garcia Middle School library, where the Spelling Bee was taking place, I received a sticker with a number written on it telling our position of seating. It took me few minutes to digest the fact that I was in the second row. After many contestants survived or failed at spelling their word, my turn arrived to face the challenges in front of the immense audience. The butterflies in my stomach just wouldn’t go away and I could hear my heart pounding erratically. A river of sweat trickled down my spine.

The announcer spoke loudly as if I couldn’t hear, ‘‘Contestant number 12, your word is ‘dairy’.’’

‘‘What an easy word,’’ I thought to myself. ‘‘May I have the definition, please?’’ I asked just for fun.

The announcer once again spoke the same way, reiterating the definition.

I finally started to say the word after asking for the pronunciation of the word again. ‘‘D….I….A….R….Y,’’ I answered.

‘‘Ding,’’ the golden bell rang as the announcer tapped it signaling that what I spelled was wrong. My hopes plummeted along with my jaw which had now dropped to the floor. I glumly walked back to my seat.

‘‘I don’t understand. Didn’t I spell the word correctly?’’ I whispered to my friend, Madihah, sitting right next to me.

‘‘You spelled the word ‘diary’ instead of ‘dairy’,’’ my friend Madihah whispered back. What a fool I was to spell the wrong word. I tried to hide my face especially my cheeks which had turned pinkish-red in color. I had the word “dairy” in my mind, but I thought of the word “diary”, remembering it from the booklet.

In the remaining time of the spelling bee, I sat there lightly envying all the other contestants and the winner with the colossal trophy.

Thus, I learned that you should never be over confident or cocky because it can give you the sense that you don’t need to study or prepare for the future.