It’s Magic

Nicole - Brentwood, Tennessee

It’s Magic

I stared at the blank page before me, pondering what I believe in. There are the obvious answers—I believe in God, in love, that people are inherently good. I could continue forever with what I believe, but what do I believe in strongly enough to write about without simply rehashing what everyone else always says?

As I mulled over this problem, a song popped into my head, a common occurrence for me. The song was “Do You Believe in Magic?” by The Lovin’ Spoonful. Then I knew what I believe in—I believe in magic! Not “poof” magic—wizards, wands, and abracadabra—but real magic. I know a lot of skeptics out there scoff at the idea of “real” magic—I mean, isn’t that a bit of an oxymoron? Nevertheless, I believe in it.

Alas, this only raised another question—what is “real” magic and how does one define something that many say doesn’t exist? Magic is all around us, in what I call everyday miracles. The beauty of a flower, the glory of a sunrise or sunset, the innumerable variations of the land, the fact that I can sit here just marveling at all this—these are everyday miracles, these are magic. It is all around us; all we have to do is believe our eyes.

Another song, “I Hope You Dance,” by Lee Ann Womack, started playing in my head. It begins with the line “I hope you never lose your sense of wonder.” I am proud to be one of the few who never has, and hopefully never will, even in today’s modern, fast-paced, science-based society. When I first started reading fantasy, I would dream of being able to fly away to whatever extraordinary land the author had created. I was convinced that if I only found the right rainbow, wished on the right star, or walked through the right wardrobe, I would be whisked away to the most amazing places. I remember how certain I was that my Hogwarts letter had gotten lost in the mail when it did not arrive on my 11th birthday, or 12th, or …

I am still waiting for that letter, still looking for the wardrobe, still trying to find that rainbow with the pot of gold, still searching for the second star to the right. Perhaps that is why I am so willing to look around and declare the whole world, the whole universe: magic. Call it God, call it nature, explain it away with science, but to me it will forever be magic.