Smoking?

Desirae - Sugar Land, Texas
Themes: addiction

Four million people in the United States loose their life every year due to tobacco related illnesses. If studies prove that tobacco is a deadly addiction then why do smokers choose to light the next cigarette? Smokers will make excuses for smoking, excuses could include; stress, sadness, or even simply life. More than likely the real reason people continue to use tobacco is because the addiction is too strong. Tobacco users simply cannot stop using their tobacco product even if they chose too.

Unfortunately, a large percentage of my family has always smoked as far back as I can remember, including my father. Even when I was little I identified tobacco smoke as smelly, crude, and revolting. I knew tobacco was gross and I would never use tobacco, but I wasn’t aware of what harm the tobacco could cause my body, inside and out.

One day in Fourth grade my school was having an assembly. The subject of the meeting was tobacco awareness. As I skipped into the blue and white auditorium with the rest of my class, I noticed a banner hanging on the wall that read in blue and orange block letters, “Tobacco Awareness”. During the presentation I was informed that in every four seconds, a person loses their life due to tobacco. (That’s about twenty two people dying just while you read this paper.) Also I learned that one in five deaths is a result of smoking. This news was quite alarming to me because there are so many people in my family that have the horrible habit, including my dad. Instantly, a cold chill went up my spine. I then realized for the first time how dangerous the habit actually is.

Whenever I arrived home that evening I told my mom the terrible news about what I had just learned. I told her about all of the deaths and diseases that could occur as a result of the addiction. I begged her to please force my dad to stop the horrible habit. She explained to me that he has to make that decision for himself.

To this day my father has not yet made the decision for himself to quit smoking. This shows me how strong any true addiction can really be. I still hope that one day he will stop. However, I know that is not my decision to make and can just hope that he will realize that that is one he needs to make for himself. I now know how strong the addiction is and know I will never try out that addiction!