Pinky Swear

Irene - Sugar Land, Texas

Its funny how a “pinky promise” could mean so much to a little kid. I used to believe that pinky swears meant nothing more than a small gesture to keep your word to a little kid, whether it was a simple secret or a promise.

The look on his face could make anyone’s day. There is nothing better than the face of a person in “the moment”. I was stuck baby-sitting Matthew, my little, 6year old cousin. His birthday was coming up, he was easily entertained by the Toys R’ Us catalog that came in the newspaper this morning, scanning through and circling everything he wanted, and most likely be getting. By the time he was done, the paper looked like it had chicken pox. “Lucky little kid.” I thought, “Is that really all you want for your birthday?” I asked.

“Not all,” he replied, “This is what I want, not what I need.”

Surprised by his sudden maturity, I asked him “Well, what do you need then?”

“I really need the new the new play station game.” I started laughing at myself for actually thinking he grew up a bit, but no, he was the same. “I’ll see what I can do.” Right then, he looked at me, eyes large and ears open, “Really?”

“Pinky Swear?” he said in the most pleading voice I ever heard.

I locked my finger within his, and I felt a surge of happiness and hope coming through him, his eyes was staring at me as if he just saw Santa Claus.

Not realizing that this game would mean so much to him. I just go ahead and bought it. At his birthday, the house was flooded with gifts, familiar items from the catalog. I gave him my present and he just tore it open, as if he knew what was inside. Apparently he did, his eyes grew wide and a smile came across his face. It was like as if I gave him a million dollars, when all it really was, just a game. He ran off to go show off his new game to all his friends; I had a good feeling that day, I couldn’t get his face out of my mind. He was smiling holding his present the whole day.

Even now, I don’t know why that game meant so much to him, or maybe it was just because he was happy that I kept my promise, I am sure glad I did.