Music Changes Lives

Kenny - Holton, Kansas

I believe that music has the power to change the way someone thinks, acts, and even associates themselves with other people. I believe this because, well, that is what music has done for me. Music, in all of its forms, has a meaning to it, but the way one person interoperates it can be completely different than someone else. My interpretation is that music is something that can make change anything or everything.

Playing in the band is what started something that started to shape me into the way I am now: outgoing, lots of friends, and sociable. Playing in the band has taught me how to work together and, also how to play music.

A couple years ago in the band, I had to play a clip of music from a book or from concert sheet music in front of the class by myself for a test. Even though it was easy playing it (a musical scale) by myself in my room, I knew I was going to mess up.

Others played it before me and it came to me. I was scared to do this. The rest of the band played it and it came to me to play. I did so, and waited for the results. Then it came to tell who got what position. I heard my name called first for my section. My name was followed by the words “first chair.” I couldn’t believe that I got it. It was such a shock.

Hearing that gave me confidence for the rest of the tests we had for the rest of the year. I got first position most of the time during the next couple years. Some wouldn’t think that getting confidence from one thing carries on to the next, but from my experience it does.

Next thing I knew I started to make friends with more people because I started to be more confident talking to people. I was able to get in front of the class to give presentations without a problem. Even today I play in the band. Now I’m fourth chair and we do not do any more tests, but I have agreed to play in a quartet with others from my group during our next concert.

If anything in this world has the power to change something, I believe from experience that music has the power to do just that.