The Family Farm

Garrett - Holton, Kansas

I believe in the family farm. A family farm can be so rewarding when done correctly. It is more than just economic profit. The values gained are so much more than that. It is the harmony of relationships and the pride of reaching goals together.

Family farming is an occupation in my family. My grandfather is a farmer and so was his father. My grandfather currently helps his children and grandchildren farm. Family businesses are hard work and challenging. Many fail before they ever reach the next generation. All too often, their priorities are wrong and failure will happen.

The family farm is disappearing in today’s world. Many remember when farming was a way of life. Most food was grown, tractors didn’t cost as much as a new home, and you didn’t have to plant thousands of acres to make a living. Those good old days are gone. Today’s farmer has a technical job to do. They must know marketing, environmental laws, accounting, be a mechanic, and many more things.

Farming is not an easy job. Fighting the weather is a constant situation. It’s too dry, too wet, too cold, too windy, or not windy enough. Every aspect of the weather affects farming. Then, the issue of bugs or weeds can drastically affect the crop and reduce the yield. Farming is a huge gamble. Even if the farmer works as hard as he can, be as honest as he can be, his life is still controlled by others.

Farming is a “labor of love” for most farmers. The feeling of pride one has when operating a family farm is almost indescribable. Most don’t understand that farming gets into your blood. When you farm, you are not in it for just the money. There is such a sense of pride to stack the last bale of hay, have the corn planted by the end of May, to see a new calf born, and relief that the weather man was wrong about the hail storm.

The joy of working with family is the best part of the family farm. I have learned the values of working hard together to reach a goal. I’ve already learned many lessons from being involved in the family farm. I certainly believe in the family farm.