Parents Should Understand Their Children

Justine - Holton, Kansas

Trapped, frustrated, annoyed, misunderstood, not trusted, I’m not a baby anymore. These words represent how I feel. My dad and I butt heads a lot! We don’t necessarily get along as well as we should. I believe that parents should let their kids grow up and not hover, just guide them the right way.

I have a facebook, a cell phone, and an ipod. My dad hates all of these things. If I’m at home, on facebook, texting, and maybe listening to my ipod, my dad will like freak out! He’ ll say, “ You don’t need to be on facebook chatting to everyone, and you don’t always have to be on your cell phone!” He absolutely hates it! I always wonder why it bugs him so much, and I always tell him, “ It’s not like it’s anything against you or anything…”

My dad is a good dad, he is just stuck in like the 60’s, where there were no cell phones, computers, or really any of the technology we have today. He thinks that I’m doing secret stuff on my phone or facebook, and that’s so NOT true! My dad says, “ Once you put something on the internet, it’s on there forever.” This is true. I understand that and I respect that. I just don’t think that my dad is used to the technology yet.

I guess I should be thankful that I have parents who care enough to always want to know what I’m doing. I respect both of my parents. I just wish my dad was a little bit more understanding about teenagers in this generation. I believe respect is the key to a good relationship.

It’s hard for me to have guy friends. My dad wouldn’t let me talk to, wave at, or sit with any guys until this year, and I am a FRESHMAN in high school! Ridiculous. I just have friends! I often wonder what it’s going to be like in two years, if I’ll be able to have a boyfriend without the hassle. I believe that parents shouldn’t be allowed to choose their children’s friends, but they should be allowed to approve or disapprove.

I am trying to be nice about things like this and tell him how much it bugs me. Whenever I do though, I always get in trouble or grounded because I always mouth off. I guess you could say I’m sort of a smart aliac, which is not always smart. My dad is getting much better though. He lets me talk to guys, even text them. He is better about the whole facebook thing, well kinda. I believe that parents should trust their children and respect their judgments. I believe that sometimes being quiet is the best thing to do. This I believe!