Life

Cody - Holton, Kansas
Themes: death

Sometimes, we take for granted what we have in life until it is gone from us, that’s when it really matters. This has happen a lot in my life; I never fully savor what I have until I no longer have it. Most of the time, it is some kind of object that can be replaced or fixed, but when do things like that really matter? When it’s a family member or a good friend, that’s when your true self comes out.

Take life, for example. What is life? Just go through, day-by-day, and work? Life should be lived to the fullest at every opportunity, embracing new features to it as they are added. Life is something that is easy to lose; even the smallest mistake could cost you everything. Life is something that is hard to give, but easy to lose.

After the deaths in my family, I go by an old saying, “Everything that has a beginning has an end”, these are the truest words that anyone has every spoken and will probably remain the truest for many years to come, unless some who can cheat death comes on along.

But there’s no way to cheat death, it is just something that everyone will have to accept, something that cannot be avoided. Sure, it can be delayed, but for how long, a year, a month, a day even? There is no point trying to delay the inedible. It might bring more joy to the ones around you, having the ability to just talk for the last few moments, or just to day goodbye.

But maybe that’s all they need, one last talk, one last goodbye. Maybe they just can’t accept what’s happening and will just try to deny it, push it away as if it wasn’t there, or just avoid it all together. But when the truth comes down to it, everything will eventually end.

Knowing that everything will have an end, including myself just makes me wonder. How will it happen, will it be quick, will I see it coming? All these questions will be answer when the right time comes, but until then I should be out living my life, seizing every possible moment for the opportunity to do something new, try a new routine, even make myself a new person. Live life while you have it, you may never know when you’ll lose it.