Constance - Richmond, Virginia

Self discipline is best learned through sports. Imagine holding a girl up in the air, throwing her in the air, catching her, and then putting her right back up, only to be followed by a round off back hand spring and a full and then running to throw another stunt back in the air. Or imagine the last three minutes of overtime in a tied district play off soccer game that is eighty- seven minutes of straight jogging, running, sprinting, jumping and falling. Or the last thirty seven seconds of a basketball game when your team is only up by four and you are trying to press the other team to hold on to your victory. All of these situations require extreme self discipline. If you decide you’re too tired or don’t feel like holding up your flyer in cheerleading anymore, she will fall to the ground. If you’re too lazy or just flat out decide you’re done playing the soccer game and don’t sprint in during a corner kick, you may miss the game winning header. If you let up on your press and the other team gets by you and score, you let down your team.

In sports you have coaches and teammates that help you grow. You develop a special bond with your teammates and want to do better so you don’t let them down. You know what your job is and you have to go out there and do it the right way 100% because others are depending on you to do that. If you decide to not guard the post player in basketball, that’s an easy two points you just gave the other team while your other teammates were working really hard on defense to make sure their person didn’t score. You let them down.

Six days a week for two hours a day you practice, run, drill, sprint, and wheeze trying to get better throughout the season. In comparison to all the practice hours you put in, the amount of time you spend playing in games is minute. That takes serious dedication, devotion and work ethic to put in so much to receive not as much. But athletes know that those few hours that you play in games are worth it, and even more grueling than all the practices you have done. The self discipline that you use in practice to push yourself as hard as you can go, fast as you can sprint, high as you can jump and hard as you can cut all come into play during the games.

I have learned what it feels like to have four, ten, and fifteen other people to depend on you to do your job as best as you can. You have to try your hardest at all times and never let up regardless of how much you want to. Self discipline is something that I really value about myself and am so grateful to have learned.