The Attack

Mubeen - Sugar Land, Texas
Themes: setbacks

I sat in class, dying of boredom as the teacher continued her daily ramble regarding integers. Many students stared blankly into space, day-dreaming to keep themselves entertained. I smiled at the thought of the teacher always complaining about low grades and asking the class, “What’s wrong? You guys always pay attention!” “If only she’ll look around!” I thought. I began to chuckle and quickly faked a cough to hide my slight amusement. The Teacher caught my attention and pointed towards the door, offering me a chance to drink water. Without hesitation, I accepted and ran out the door to escape the boredom.

I walked to the water fountain as slowly as possible, trying to waste time before I’m stuck in math for the rest of the period. As I turned into the next hallway, I witnessed a small boy being battered by an abnormally large seventh grader. I hid and peeked at the bully behind a wall watching the brutal attack. The bully picked up the small boy. He muttered something to the boy with anger and vigor boiling within him. The boy franticly shook his head as tears rolled down his cheeks. The bully then dropped the boy on the floor. He stared at the bully who stared back with and evil grin. He slowly cornered the boy, allowing no escape. The boy held up his arms as a method of helpless defense. The bully snickered and punched the kid right in the stomach. The boy clinched his stomach as pain shot throughout his body. His eyes widened. He opened his mouth to scream, but the overwhelming pain gave nothing. He dropped to his knees, coughing and gasping for air as if an entire worlds worth wasn’t enough. The bully then again muttered something to him. He stood, staring at the damage he had done to the boy. A smile then again reappeared. The boy then took a huge blow to the face. He became limp and dropped to the ground. The bully stood, towering over the boy taking pride in his achievement. I stared at the innocent boy and noticed blood trickling down his face, as I frightfully peaked at the scene. The bully, who was done “sight-seeing” slowly walked away from the body, till he was out of sight.

I quickly rushed to the boy’s aid. Blood gushed out right below his left eye. He was still holding his stomach, which was clearly injured. I ran to the nearest classroom and informed the teacher of the situation, who then quickly informed the nurse.

After they had taken the boy away, the school officer asked me a series of questions. I told him everything I remembered. I was soon called away and he told me to meet me in the morning. I nodded and headed back to class.

As I entered thirty-seven minutes after leaving, the teacher looked at me with a disappointing stare. I began telling my story, but then the bell rang; math was over.