A Hard Lesson to Learn

Dominick - Sugar Land, Texas

I figured an important lesson over the last couple of years, unfortunately for me; I had to learn it the hard way.

My sister, Winnifer, and I have never really seen eye to eye. We usually disagree on certain subjects or argue on our views of a situation to find out neither of us had it right. Being two different shades of brown and not coming from the same father sometimes brought discrimination into our “discussions”. Plus, with my sister having lived in a lower version of poverty than I had, her outlook on the apartments where we used to live differed from mine. So my constant complaining often annoyed her starting an argument on the subject on how she would say, “you don’t know how well you have it.”

But sometimes our “outside voiced conversations” would get out of control. These conditions would lead to us having a fight, some leaving bruises physically and emotionally. We had once broken a vase in our apartment. This lead to the end of our fights, we had met it, “Mr. Leather.” My dad used to discipline us.

But for some strange reason after all of this I still seem to like my sister.

A couple of years ago my sister found out she accepted to Baylor University, a college in Wako, TX. It had been the happiest day of my life; especially when I found out the campus did not stay close to Houston. My mom often fussed at me for making jokes like, “now that I’m an only child do I get more stuff now right?” It was great, getting to eat what I want because nobody was there to say, “you should eat real food,” or something of that affect.

But the fun only lasted a couple of days, after that more chores started to pile up and nobody at our house could help me with my homework because they couldn’t understand the material.

This is also when I noticed the loneliness of not having anybody there to talk to. It made me fell like I was a little kid in a maze who had gotten left behind and can’t find his way out. Being trapped inside our apartment wasn’t fun either because there was nobody to take me anywhere since my parents always had work.

The next time my sister came home I felt different, like gaps in my life had suddenly filled which disappeared when she left. I guess what I learned from all of this is you’ll never know how great someone or somebody is until it’s gone.